Teacher: Fabrizio Acquafresca
Dates: 6 to 10 August 2018
Cost: 600 euro + 22% VAT
Fabrizio Acquafresca is an internationally renowned teacher, who comes from a long line of Florentine artisans dating back to the 14th century. The chasing and repoussé technique has been passed down from generation to generation in his family and Fabrizio upholds his family tradition travelling around the world. He has been teaching professionally for twelve years, predominantly in his hometown of Florence, but also abroad in Turkey, United Kingdom, and United States.
The technique of chasing and repoussé involves the process of applying sheet metal (brass, copper, gold, argentium silver, or sterling silver) to a board of pitch, then forming the metal using a hammer and different shapes and sizes of specialized handmade chasing tools. Fabrizio has always been dedicated and enthusiastic about sharing his skills and knowledge of this process.
Under the careful guidance of Fabrizio Acquafresca, students will learn chasing and repoussé in the Italian style. Through the proper use of various specialized tools, students will study and implement the classical Italian approach to transforming sheet metal into relief and other works of art. Students will begin with a dragonfly relief, but should also come prepared with a jewelry design containing fruit, a floral pattern or an abstract image to realize in metal. This course has no prerequisites and is open to students of all levels.
Churches of extraordinary beauty, museums and art collections, historic gardens, piazzas, medieval streets and ancient palaces: Florence can best be defined as a diffuse museum. It is not a container for works of art, but a work of art in itself. In the midst of inspiring landscapes and a fascinating historical and cultural context, Florence represents the perfect location to immerse yourself in the ancient art of chasing and repoussé.
August 6th: Introduction to the course and to the use of the tools. Illustration and selection of the different materials Beginning of practical execution of a project assigned: a dragonfly
August 7th: Elaboration of a new project from students; create a bracelet.
August 8th: Continuing work on bracelet and finish the work. (After lesson, instructor slide presentation).
August 9th: Explain how to make tools and start a new project.
August 10th: Continuing work and finishing of projects. Please consider that the lesson plan may vary according to the class progress.
Fabrizio Acquafresca wants to offer to his students some after-class activities at no additional costs:
– A 60 minute guided tour of the city with anecdotes and curiosities about Florence
– An aperitif
– A visit to Brandimarte and Fratelli Lisi, two of the most renowned silversmithing workshops in the city, to see different processing silver techniques. Participation is not obligatory.
The cost of the workshop is €600.00 + 22% VAT At the moment of enrollment, €290,00, equal to the 40% of the total fee, must be paid to Alchimia’s bank account (see enrollment form), or with PayPal. The remaining 60% must be paid upon arrival by credit card, in cash, or through the above mentioned payment methods. Eventual withdrawals must be notified 30 days before lessons begin; in this case the school will return the entire enrollment fee. On the contrary the enrollment fee will be entirely retained by the school.
The tool set will be provided by Fabrizio Acquafresca, as far as metals sheets and the equipment needed for the course. After the workshop, tools are available for purchase.